When our hectic schedules take a toll on our sex life, we frantically flip through lifestyle magazines and Google ways to revitalise the same. And while aromatic candles and couple spa treatments promise a pleasurable turn of events, they barely do the job.According to a study published in The Journal of Sexual Medicine, a lack of focus made lovemaking seem like a chore to women. But when these sexually-dissatisfied women took up yoga and mastered mindfulness, they were reported to have stronger sexual urges and even had better orgasms. Regular yoga has been linked to longer-sustained erections and an increase in testosterone production. Point to be noted: master the right yoga moves for a more fulfilling sex life. The good news: they’re easy, and can be done at home. Here’s a list of six sex-enhancing asanas that’ll improve flexibility, boost confidence and help you flaunt a hot yogi body.
COBRA POSE OR BHUJANGASANA
On days when you’re feeling drained, fuel your sex drive with the cobra pose. The asana is known to stimulate the sexual energy centres in the body and open the heart (Anahata) and pelvic (Sacral) chakra to release love and sexual pleasure.
STEP BY STEP
– Lie on your stomach with your forehead touching the floor and feet extended.
– Bringing the feet together, press your toes into the floor and bring your palms to chest level.
– Slowly lift the upper body off the floor, stretch your arms and back to create a graceful arc and try to look up without straining your back.
– Hold the position for three breaths, return to the original position and repeat.
PRO TIP: Return to your original position slowly for a gradual decompression of the spine.
BRIDGE POSE OR SETU BANDHA SARVANGASANA
If your orgasms aren’t as satisfying as before, the bridge pose can help. This simple pelvic lift provides a wonderful hip flexor stretch, strengthens the vaginal muscles, improves orgasms and relieves stress.
STEP BY STEP
– Lie on the back and bend your knees. Squeeze your thighs and buttocks, lift the hips, interlace your fingers beneath them as you press down your heels.
– Try to push the hips up as high as possible.
– Hold the position for three breaths and repeat.
PRO TIP: Combine this with Kegel exercises to strengthen your pelvic muscles.
EAGLE POSE OR GARUDASANA
This one improves concentration and blood circulation to sexual organs. Once you release the legs, you can almost feel a gush of blood in the cervical area, mak ing it pleasurably sensitive during the act.
STEP BY STEP
– Shift the weight of the body on the right leg, bending it a little.
– Lift the left foot, cross the left thigh over » the right knee and wrap the top of the foot around the right calf and balance the body with the right leg.
– Raise the arms and wrap them around each other so that the palms join each other in a twisted namaskara position.
– Hold the position for three breaths, release and repeat the asana on the other side.
BUTTERFLY POSE OR BADDHA KONASANA
Resembling a butterfly flap ping its wings, this simple pose is a great way to boost low sexual desire common among individuals with a sedentary lifestyle. While the stretch in the inner thighs induces a natural sense of intimacy and improves blood flow to the pelvic area, the opening of hips flushes out pent-up stress, thus enhancing mood and sexual desire.
STEP BY STEP
– Sit with the legs straight out in front of you.
– Bend your knees and pull the heels towards the pelvis to bring the soles of your feet together.
– Allow your knees to drop open to the sides and interlace the fingers around the toes.
– Gradually raise the knees towards your chest, push them down towards the floor and repeat.
PRO TIP: If you’re experiencing discomfort while pushing the knees down, grab a couple of cushions and place them underneath for extra support.
DOWNWARD-FACING DOG POSE OR ADHO MUKHA SVANASANA
This pose replicates a dog bending forward. The down ward-facing dog pose is great as it instantly invigorates the body. Also, a great workout for the buttocks, this asana is bound to make you feel super flexible and strong. The asana is also known to release neckback pain.
STEP BY STEP
– Get down on your fours and place your wrists in front of your shoulders.
– Your hips should be a width apart. Pushing strongly into your palms, lift the knees off the floor and straighten them.
– The body should look like an inverted V: with the buttocks in the air and tailbone pointing towards the sky.
– Hold the pose for three breaths. Return to your original posture and repeat.
PRO TIP: Keeping your head firm, look inward and straighten your knees without locking them.
CAT AND COW STRETCH OR MARJARIASANA
The cat and cow stretch strengthens the Kegel muscles and promotes better, more controlled orgasms. It also helps relax a stiff back.
Get down on your fours and arch your back and lift the chest up and away from the bel ly so your buttocks are point to the sky. Look up and hold for three breaths.
– Curl in the lower back (cat), while gently contracting the belly. Look down and hold for three breaths.
– Return to your original posture and repeat.
By Priya Chaphekar
Disclaimer – Recommendations & Suggestions above are generic in nature. Be advised to consult a registered medical practitioner, certified yoga instructor or other professional before trying yourself.