Kadai Paneer is a popular paneer recipe that is served as side dish with Indian flat breads.
Recipe type: side dish
Serves: 3 to 4 servings
- Paneer Cubes (Cottage Cheese) – 1 cup
- Onion, medium – 2
- Tomato, large – 3
- Capsicum (Bell pepper), big – 1
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon – 1 inch stick
- Cardamom – 2
- Cloves – 2
- Whole coriander seeds – 2 tsp
- Whole dry red chilies – 2
- Bay leaf – 1
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/8 tsp
- Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp
- Kasuri methi (Dried fenugreek leaves) – 2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil or ghee – 2 tbsp
- Chop the capsicum into big cubes and keep it ready. Chop the onion and tomatoes and keep it ready.
- Heat a thick bottomed pan.
- Add cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, coriander seeds, red chilies and dry roast for 2 mins over low flame till the aroma arises.
- Take care not to burn them. Transfer to a plate and let it cool.
- Transfer the spices to a mixie jar. Powder finely and keep aside.
- Heat a pan with either oil or ghee or a combination of both.
- Add cumin seeds and let it sizzle.
- Add bay leaf, onions, ginger garlic paste and sauté over low flame will the onions turn pink.
- Now add tomato, a pinch of salt and sauté for 3-4 mins till the tomato turns mushy
- Now add capsicum, red chili powder, turmeric powder, salt, 1/4 cup water and mix well.
- Close the pan with a lid and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- By now the capsicum would have softened and the raw smell of the chili powder would be gone.
- Now add the sliced or cubed paneer, coriander leaves, ground spice powder, mix well.
- Sprinkle about 1/4 cup water, if the curry is thick.
- Close the pan with a lid, leaving a small gap and let it cook for 5-7 minutes over low flame.
- Switch off flame and add crushed methi leaves.
- Mix well and keep the pan closed with a lid till serving.
- Kadai Paneer is ready.
- Serve with hot chapathis/rotis, phulkas or Naan.
128 total views, 4 views today