Buttermilk is a fermented dairy product, which is very popular during the summer season. A glass of chilled buttermilk is refreshing and invigorating.
Originally, buttermilk was referred to as the liquid that was left over after churning butter from cream. However, today it is described as a fermented dairy drink, common in many countries with warm climates.
To make a distinction between the two types of buttermilk, the liquid left after churning
It is true that buttermilk is often consumed as a healthy beverage, but it is also frequently used in cooking. It serves as a base to prepare homemade marinades, dips, smoothies, soups and salad dressings. It is also used as an acidic ingredient in baked goods.
This fermented beverage is suitable for lactose-intolerant people who face difficulty meeting their daily calcium requirements from other dairy products
Being loaded with milk protein and lactic acid, buttermilk helps get rid of impurities and dead skin cells from the skin, which can steal away the natural glow from your skin. Also, lactic acid brightens the skin tone and gives your skin a smooth texture.
- Mix enough buttermilk with ½ cup of gram flour and 1 teaspoon of turmeric to make a smooth paste. Apply this mask on the skin. Allow it to dry on its own, then rub off the mask using wet fingers. Finally, wash your face with water. Use this skin-lightening mask once a week.
- For a daily treatment, mix a pinch of saffron in ½ cup of buttermilk and set it aside for 30 minutes. Then, apply the solution on the skin and massage gently. Leave it on for 20 minutes, then rinse it off thoroughly. Use this remedy once daily.
2. Lightens Marks and Spots
Buttermilk is rich in lactic acid, an alpha hydroxy acid like those used in most beauty products designed to get rid of ugly marks and spots. The lactic acid in buttermilk helps exfoliate the skin to remove spots and marks, and does so without drying out your skin.Simply dabbing some pure buttermilk on the skin is a very good remedy for suntanned skin
- Blend ¼ cup of cold buttermilk along with ½ of a tomato. Optionally, add a handful of mint leaves. Apply this liquid to your suntanned skin. Allow it to dry on its own. Do this once daily.
- Alternatively, mix 2 teaspoons each of buttermilk and honey. Apply it on the affected area using your fingertips. Massage for 5 minutes, then let it sit for 20 minutes. Finally, wash off the area with plain water. Repeat 1 or 2 times daily.
, and it is a very cheap and effective treatment. But to make the treatment more effective, you can mix buttermilk with other powerful ingredients.
Cleanses the Skin
Buttermilk works as an excellent cleanser for the skin. It cleanses the dust, dirt and other impurities from the skin. It also nourishes your skin from within to keep it looking healthy and bright.
- Dip a cotton ball in buttermilk and use it to cleanse your face. Then, rinse your skin with plain water. Use this simple remedy daily before going to bed.
5. Relieves Acidity and Bloating
Buttermilk is rich in probiotic microbes that help promote digestion. These healthy microbes prevent the growth of bad bacteria, which can cause stomach infections and diarrhea.
Buttermilk can also prevent indigestion and excessive gas. It can even fight stomach bloating and acidity by reducing the irritation in the stomach lining due to acid reflux. It helps beat the burning sensation you feel during a bout of acidity.
6. Boosts Your Calcium Intake
Buttermilk is a good of calcium, especially for people who are lactose intolerant and cannot have milk. A glass of buttermilk can provide you with approximately 282 mg of calcium, which is almost 28 percent of the daily recommended value.
Makes Hair Healthy and Strong
Buttermilk is highly beneficial for your hair. With a healthy amount of protein and vitamins present in buttermilk, it provides the much-needed nourishment to your hair to stimulate hair growth and make it healthy.
- Put the following ingredients in a blender: 3 tablespoons of buttermilk, 1 egg, 1 banana, 2 tablespoons of honey and 3 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil. Blend until you get a smooth texture. Apply the paste all over your hair. Cover it with shower cap and allow it to sit for 20 minutes.