Alleging medical negligence, a resident of Kanpur has claimed that he was made to run around from one department to another, carrying his ailing son on his shoulder, at the state government-run Lala Lajpat Rai Hospital in Kanpur. By the time the boy received treatment, he was dead.

While the incident occurred on August 26, it came to light on Monday after a video of the man, Sunil Singh, carrying his son, Ansh, 12, was circulated on social media.Singh said he took Ansh to the hospital at about 9.30 am on Friday, after he complained of diarrhoea and vomiting. He first went to the emergency ward, where the doctors reportedly told him to go to the paediatric department.

“When we reached the emergency ward, the doctor did not give any diagnosis. He told me to go to the children’s ward. I searched for a stretcher but could not find one,” said Singh.

So he carried Ansh on his shoulder and started walking. “I did not know where the children’s ward was, and there was nobody who could give directions. It took me about an hour to find the department. A junior doctor who was present there looked at my son and declared him dead,” said Singh. “A private doctor later told me that he could have been saved if he had received treatment on time,” he claimed.
PTI quoted hospital authorities as saying that the boy was brought dead to the hospital.

Kanpur District Magistrate Kaushal Raj Sharma has ordered an inquiry into the matter. An inquiry committee comprising the additional city magistrate and additional chief medical officer has been formed.

“After the boy was declared dead, Singh took his son to a private hospital to confirm the death. The committee has recorded the statement of that doctor,” said Sharma. “The committee will probe the steps taken by the doctors in the emergency ward when the boy was initially taken there for treatment,” he said.

The Uttar Pradesh State Commission for Protection of Child Rights (UPSCPCR) has also ordered a probe into the incident. “We have issued a notice to the district magistrate, who has submitted his reply that a two-member committee has been constituted to probe into the incident,” Chairperson, UPSCPCR, Juhie Singh told PTI.