The lawyer said if the ministry did not issue directions for the removal of her name from the ECL, he would approach the Supreme Court of Pakistan for contempt proceedings.
The model was arrested in March 2015 on the charges of money laundering after customs officials recovered $506,000 from her luggage at Benazir Bhutto International Airport when she was going to Dubai. In July last year, she was granted bail after spending around four months in the Adiala Jail. In March this year, the Sindh High Court directed to remove Ayyan’s name from the ECL. Though the model got her passport back, her name has not been removed from the ECL so far.
According to the notice sent by the company, the model has been informed that under the agreement signed on July 31, 2014, the recording, interviews and photo shoot of an album had to be completed within two years. But still at least seven more songs are to be recorded. Moreover, the promotion of the album, Nothing like everything, has to be completed.
“If Ayyan does not come to Dubai in April 2016 for recording and the photo session, the company will file a suit to enforce out agreement and to collect remuneration for work and additional attorney’s fee. The amount will be up to $10 million which includes image damages.”
Advocate Akhtar said after receiving the legal notice his client had been facing mental torture and would have to pay $10 million to the company.
“Therefore, she needs an urgent order removing her name from the ECL so that she may go to Dubai in connection with the compliance of her agreement,” he said.
The lawyer added that in other similar cases, the names were removed from the ECL the same day of the court verdicts, adding a similar treatment should be given to his client.
“The case of Ms Ayyan Ali may not be treated as one of discrimination and I request you that discrimination should not be made and she should be allowed to go to Dubai.”
Advocate Akhtar said if orders were not passed to remove her name from the ECL, he would have no other option but to move the Supreme Court for initiating contempt proceedings against persons responsible for the delay and the losses.
When contacted, an official of the ministry of interior, who was not authorised to speak on record, confirmed that the application had been received. He added, “Due process will be followed to take appropriate action.”