Sun Splash Family Waterpark in Cape Coral is closed after an overnight fire that caused hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage. The blaze destroyed a main building in the park and it took several hours to extinguish, thanks in part to the recent hot weather across the region. Firefighters said flames were as high as the park’s highest slide.
They said the fire was accidental and may have ignited from a faulty golf cart.
Park officials said they’ll bring in double-wide trailers for offices and will reestablish a food section. They’re hoping to reopen by Saturday. If not, they’ll work through the weekend to get ready for next week.
Then they’ll begin rebuilding.
Workers returned to the property Wednesday to bulldoze what was what left of the building, which had been reduced to smoldering rubble.
“All of the lights were on over there and we couldn’t see anything and we couldn’t smell anything either,” said Angel Fioravanti, who lives nearby. “(People were saying) ‘Oh my gosh, there was a big fire last night at Sun Splash,’ and I was like, ‘What?'”
Other neighbors were also unaware because the fire occurred so early.
“It was about 1 o’clock in the morning and we had just laid down and you could just hear the fire trucks coming off Pine Island road and up Santa Barbara from the fire department houses,” said Joshua Cfalas. “It was pretty loud.”
141 total views, 1 views today