AN argument over using a computer has ended with a 20-year-old man allegedly stabbing his father to death after the home internet cable was disconnected.

Daniel Chapman, 20, was arrested at his Moorebank home, in Sydney’s south west, shortly before 9pm on Sunday night, while at the same time desperate attempts were being made to save the life of Stephen John Chapman.

Police said that Daniel’s computer use, a regular dispute in the family, had triggered the argument just about 8pm.

“I believe the son uses it [the computer] quite regularly, and when he’s asked to come to the dinner table he continued on the computer,” detective Chief Inspector Ken Hardie, of the Liverpool local area command, said yesterday.

As the argument escalated, police say Chapman then grabbed a knife and began to stab his father.

It will be alleged that when his mother, Mr Chapman’s wife, discovered what had happened she ordered Daniel to go to a neighbour’s house and ask for emergency services to be called.

But the critically-injured 56 year old could not be revived by paramedics at the home on Josephine Crescent, and died on the way to hospital. His son was charged with his murder a short time later.

Chapman, who graduated from Moorebank High School and also studied at Granville TAFE, did not come on the screen at Parramatta Court yesterday, and his bail was formally refused.

“All I can say is that it is a real tragedy for the family,” his lawyer Adam Ly said after the brief appearance.

Mr Ly indicated mental health issues may be a factor in the court proceedings and said the case was “very very sad” for the family, especially Chapman’s mother.

“Very, very sad, particularly for her with a son in jail and a husband who is now deceased,” he said.

“It’s quite sad.”

Court documents allege Chapman murdered his father sometime between 8.20pm and 8.30pm.

Yesterday friends and residents of the quiet street expressed their shock at Mr Chapman’s sudden death.

Members of the Australian Model Railways Association said Mr Chapman was their dedicated federal registrar, who brought Daniel to the group’s major exhibition in Liverpool on Saturday.

“And to think he was there with us on Saturday … Daniel was actually working our tea and coffee bar,” one woman said. “He was dedicated to his job and he was a very bright man … and only still young.”