The classic Punjabi dish: Sarsoon da saag te makki di roti. Best had with some white butter and jaggery or honey.
- 750 gm sarson saag
- 250 gm palak saag
- 250 gm bathua saag
- 2 cups water salt pinch
- 1 1/2 cup makki atta
- 4 green chilly
- 25 gm ginger
- 2 onions
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 100 gm ghee
- 1/2 tsp red pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- Makki ki roti
- 1/2 kg makki atta
- Water for kneading
- Ghee for frying
- For the saag:
- Add the three saags, salt and water into pressure cooker & cook over low heat for 1 1/2 hours.
- Squeeze out saag and keep saag water aside. Mash saag in the cooker until coarsely ground, and add makki atta and stir.
- Put back saag water and a little fresh water & boil over slow fire.
- Add green chillies & ginger & cook till saaggets thick.
- For tadka, add chopped onions, ginger, garlic, red pepper powder; garam masala, dhania & saute until onions are light brown.
- Mix into saag & garnish with julienne of ginger fried in ghee.
- For makki ki roti:
- nead the makki atta until it becomes a ball, add atta to dry it & knead.
- Heat the tava and add a little ghee so that it does not stick.
- Make round shapes of makki roti on chakla & carefully transfer to the tava.
- Cook with ghee till golden brown.
- Serve with hot sarson da saag and gur and white butter
Read More: Recipe: Vegetarian Pizza