Rangers on Tuesday released detained Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) leaders Farooq Sattar, Khawaja Izharul Hassan and AmirLiaquat.

All three leaders were detained yesterday after Muttahida protestors stormed in the office of a private news channel in Karachi and created chaos at Fawara Chowk and the adjoining areas.

Farooq Sattar and Khawaja Izhar were detained by Rangers’ officials as they arrived at Karachi Press Club late in the evening yesterday in order to present the party’s stance over the unrest in the city whereas Amir Liaquat was arrested at midnight from I.I. Chandrigarh Road after Rangers raided Muttahida’s office.

MQM leader Farooq Sattar shall be announcing about the strategy to be adopted by the party in the wake of recent violence in the city after addressing a press conference shortly.

MQM had arranged a hunger strike unto death camp outside Karachi Press Club during the past few days against the kidnapping and the disappearance of party workers. Leaders of various political parties also paid visit to the camp and held talks with MQM leaders present there.

Situation seemed to be getting better as Sindh Chief Minister (CM) Murad Ali Shah also paid visit to the camp and assured to clear the reservations of MQM leaders after meeting them there.

However, MQM chief addressed the workers present in the camp by evening and agitated them to an extent that the demonstrators headed towards the office of a private news channel present nearby and entered the building after taking down the gate. The enraged demonstrators also broke windows and caused damaged to the infrastructure.

Police and Rangers reached the scene and took action against the miscreants. One person lost his life as a result of clashes among the demonstrators and law enforcement agencies. The area around the press club gave the impression of a battlefield as violent clashes took place between both parties. It took some hours for the situation to cool down.

The attack was condemned by political leaders of the country whereas Chief of Army Staff (COAS) General Raheel Sharif directed Rangers Director General (DG) Major General Bilal Akram to arrest those behind spreading unrest at the earliest.