Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) leader and former Information Minister Sindh Sharjeel Memon on Wednesday announced his return to Pakistan this month despite his name being on the Exit Control List (ECL).
Speaking during Geo News’ program ‘Aaj Shahzeb Khanzada Kay Saath’, he said, “When I had left Pakistan for my treatment, there was no case against me. However, when my nonbailable warrants were issued today, I decided to return”.
Memon said that he learned from the media that his name has been put on ECL, adding that he will face the court after returning to the country.
The News had earlier reported that an accountability court (AC) accepted a reference on Saturday against 16 people, including Sharjeel Memon, for the alleged commission of corruption of around Rs5.76billion.
The bureau said that all the accused had committed corruption to the tune of around Rs5.76 billion.
Memon, who is currently in self-exile in London, had approached the Sindh High Court in June this year against the initiation of corruption inquiries against him and the placement of his name on the ECL.
He had left the country following a crackdown by law enforcement agencies against corruption in Sindh. NAB is probing corruption and embezzlement charges of billions of rupees in the information department.