A 22-year-old Sydney man arrested over alleged terrorism-related offences has been granted bail with strict conditions that include a $250,000 bond.
Muhammad Abdul Karim Musleh was arrested by the Joint Counter Terrorism Team at a property in Wattle Grove, in Sydney’s south-west, on Tuesday.
Authorities allege he travelled to the Syrian conflict zone in 2013, and played an active role in supporting others to travel to the region.
His defence counsel, Greg Scragg, told Parramatta Local Court Musleh’s parents had offered a bail bond of $250,000.
Mr Scragg said Musleh’s mother, who is a government interpreter, and his father, an accountant for Transport NSW, would take out a second mortgage on their home in order to meet the payment.
“It has been explained to him in clear terms.”
The Crown prosecutor told the court bail was not opposed, as long any flight risk was mitigated by a set of stringent conditions.
The prosecution said Musleh’s Jordanian and Australian passports had been cancelled by police.
Magistrate Karen Stafford said she had some reservations about granting him bail, however noted the Crown did not oppose it.
“The court has a concern about whether if bail is granted, Musleh will appear in court to answer charges,” she said.
“However … the Crown is in a better position than the bench … to make that assessment.”
Court documents allege Musleh helped Mehmet Biber, arrested earlier this month on suspicion of breaching foreign fighter laws, travel to Syria.
115 total views, 2 views today