Denpasar Traffic Police Chief Nyoman Nuryana said Mr Newton, who had been wearing a helmet, suffered open wounds to his cheek, chin and forehead, and died at the scene.
The accident occurred at 4.30am on Tuesday morning local time.
Mr Newton’s body was found at Jalan Bypass Ngurah Rai and taken to the Sanglah Morgue.
Forensic doctor Ida Bagus Putu Alit said Mr Newton’s body had been brought into Sanglah morgue at 6am on Tuesday and a preliminary examination took place at 6.15am.
He said the injuries, which included a broken jaw, broken bones and wounds and lacerations, were consistent with a vehicle accident.
Mr Newton served as a career firefighter in the Country Fire Authority for three years, before working the past 19 years at the Metropolitan Fire Brigade in Melbourne. He has also worked as a recruit instructor.
“Adrian puts out the most fires I know. And can do it almost as fast as Canadian Barry, who we met back in the day,” Andrew Stubbs, a sales director at AP surgical, wrote on Mr Newton’s LinkedIn account.
Mr Newton had been stationed at West Melbourne, Carlton and South Melbourne fire stations.
He did a firefighting exchange with a firefighter in Canada in 2012, with whom he swapped homes, cars and jobs for a year.
In the Metropolitan Fire Brigade magazine FireMark in June, 2012, Mr Newton wrote that his funniest call out in Vancouver, Canada, had been to resuscitate a Santa gnome.
“Needless to say, the look on our faces was priceless,” he wrote.
“Unfortunately we couldn’t help him, as we haven’t received training in gnome resuscitation.”
The United Firefighters Union on Tuesday night said Mr Newton’s colleagues would be devastated by his death.
“Adrian Newton was a highly regarded officer with specialist rescue qualifications … he served Victoria as a career firefighter in the CFA and the in the MFB,” union secretary Peter Marshall said.
“Firefighters are a tight-knit team and his loss will impact on many who have known and worked with him. Our deepest condolences to his family.”
A spokesman for the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade said the department was providing consular support to the man’s family. “Out of respect to the man’s family we will not provide further comment,” the spokesman said.