Masala Dosa is a famous recipe not only in India but abroad too. Masala Dosa is on the menu list of many North Indian Specialty restaurants too. Though making Masala Dosa is a long process, but its worth it.Usually the first day i make idlis from the batter and then the next day i make dosa. For making dosa the batter has to be slightly thin than the idli batter. The leftover batter can always be refrigerated and used when required.The basic plain dosa recipe calls for soaking urad dal/skinned black lentils and rice. The soaked lentils and rice are then finely ground and fermented overnight. Warm temperature is important for the idli-dosa batter to ferment well.I have used regular rice and parboiled rice in half-half ratio. Plus have added poha too. Poha make the dosa crisp and at the same time the Dosa retains its softness too. It also gives a nice golden brown color to the dosa.
- Combine the urad dal and fenugreek seeds in a deep bowl, soak it in enough water for 4 hours.
- Combine the rice, parboiled rice and thick rice flakes in a deep bowl , soak it in enough water for 4 hours.
- Drain the urad dal and fenugreek seeds and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste using approx. 1 cup of water. Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl and keep aside.
- Drain the rice, parboiled rice and thick rice flakes blend in a mixer to a smooth paste using approx. 1 cup of water. Transfer the mixture into the same bowl, add the salt and mix well.
- Cover and ferment in a warm place for 12 hours.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle), sprinkle a little water on the tava (griddle) and wipe it off gently using a cloth.
- Pour a ladleful of the batter on it and spread it in a circular motion to make a 225 mm. (9”) diameter thin circle.
- Smear a little ghee over it and along the edges and cook on a high flame till the dosa turns brown in colour and crisp.
- Fold over to make a semi-circle or a roll.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to make 17 more dosas.
- Serve immediately with coconut chutney and sambhar.
1/2 cup urad dal (split black lentils)
1 tbsp fenugreek (methi) seeds
1 cup raw rice (chawal)
1 cup par-boiled rice (ukda chawal)
2 tbsp thick beaten rice (poha)
ghee for cooking
24,481 total views, 1 views today