ALL southbound lanes of the Pacific Motorway were closed after a multi-vehicle crash at Robina involving a truck and several cars this afternoon, causing huge delays for drivers. Traffic finally cleared after chaos for more than four hours when a crash at about 2.30pm caused gridlock across the Gold Coast.

Southbound traffic on the M1 was at one stage banked back to Highland Park but this had cleared by 7.40pm. Some drivers earlier reported being stuck in the traffic for 90 minutes.

Northbound traffic also had massive delays, at one stage stretching from Robina back to Currumbin. This was clear by 7pm.  The chaos started when a truck carrying vehicles was travelling on the motorway when it jack-knifed near Robina Parkway about 2.35pm and ended up on its side, with one of the cars it was carrying falling into the creek below.

The truck driver managed to escape before it burst into flames but it is believed he has chest and lower leg injuries.

Another car was hit in the crash, with the driver tapped for at least 30 minutes before being freed by firefighters.

The two injured men have been taken to Gold Coast University Hospital in a stable condition.

Queensland Ambulance Service operations manager Gavin Fuller said the crash could have been a lot worse.

“To only have two vehicles involved in a major incident on a three-lane highway is fairly amazing,” he said.

“For those two people who were involved to virtually walk way, someone was very lucky today.

“If you are caught on the M1 try to think of stopping and taking an early rest break,” he said.

There were also delays from Woolongabba to Greenslopes and Eight Mile Plains to Springwood southbound on the Pacific Motorway this afteroon.

These delays follow a crash that happened at about 3.05pm. No injuries were reported.

This afternoon crashes come after a serious crash at Worongary at about noon.

A man was taken to hospital in a serious condition after a four-vehicle crash on Worongary Road.

It’s understood a driver was turning right at the intersection when he was T-boned by an oncoming car.

The two vehicles were then pushed onto the other side of the road where they collided with another two cars.

On arrival crews found a male in his 20s was trapped in one of the vehicles and hydraulic equipment was used to free him.

He sustained chest and abdominal injuries and was taken to Gold Coast University Hospital in a serious condition.

Another car began smoking after the collision but was extinguished shortly after.

Paramedics were accessing the other occupants of the crash at the scene.

There were no other reported injuries.

EARLIER: Highway crash follows serious crash at Worongary

A TRUCK has reportedly rolled and a vehicle is on fire after a multi-vehicle crash on the Pacific Motorway this afternoon.

Initial reports suggest two cars and two trucks were involved in the crash, which happened in southbound lanes about 2.45pm near exit 82 at Robina.

Queensland Ambulance Service reports one person is trapped in the wreckage.

Traffic is banked up for at least 8km and massive delays are expected.

Injuries are not yet known.

The highway crash is the second serious crash reported on the Gold coast today.

A man has been taken to hospital in a serious condition after a four-vehicle crash in Worongary earlier today.

The crash happened at around midday on Worongary Road.

The man in his 20s was taken to Gold Coast University hospital.

It comes after a bus collided with a cyclist in Brisbane’s CBD this morning.

The incident occurred just before 11am near the corner of Adelaide and Albert streets.

Paramedics are reportedly assessing a conscious male patient on the scene.

The cyclist has been taken to Royal Brisbane Hospital in a stable condition. There are no traffic delays in the area.