Around 10.30am, police said, Abishek came out of his flat on the fifth floor of Roop Vatika Apartments on Perumal Koil Garden Street. He was headed to the family-run electrical goods store.
There was a power outage at the complex and he decided to take the stairs. As he was climbing down, the power resumed. He got into the elevator and was going down when the powere again failed and the elevator stopped between the fifth and fourth floors.
Abishek opened the sliding door to lower himself to the fourth floor landing through the gap, when he slipped and fell down. He landed on the ground floor with a thud. Tola Chand, a relative said several neighbours came running there and noticed Abishek in a pool of blood.
Some of them rushed him nearby private hospital where doctors declared him dead.
A team of the Elephant Gate police arrived at the complex and began inquiries. Police registered a case under CrPC section 174. Police said Abishek could have plunged down at least 30 metres.
A few residents of the complex said Abishek was a quiet person who hardly mingled with anyone. Others blamed the frequent power cuts in the area, both during the day and night, for his death.”Many of us never used the elevator because of the power fluctuations. We were scared it would stop in the middle,” said Pramod, an uncle of the deceased youth. There was a generator at the complex but it was never switched on, some said.
Abishek had been living with his parents Ganpath and Santhosh on the top floor of the five-storey building that comprised 10 apartments, residents told police.