Man charged with manslaughter over Jason Garrels death at Clermont building site

man 24india news

An electrical contractor has been charged with the manslaughter of a young labourer who was electrocuted on his ninth day of work in central Queensland. Jason Garrels was a few weeks shy of his 21st birthday when he died building townhouses in heavy rain at Clermont in 2012.

During a clean-up of the outdoor site, he was asked to move a switchboard box, however its covering had slipped and the box came into contact with live wires, an inquest held last year into his death heard.

Mr Garrels held onto the switchboard for three seconds, staggered backwards and then collapsed on the muddy ground, the inquest heard.

Nathan Day, 29, who was the sole electrical contractor, has been was charged with manslaughter and is due to appear at Brisbane Magistrates court on July 21.

Mr Garrels’ father Michael said the family made a video for WorkCover to tell Jason’s story, which he says has made changes in some construction sites.

“We all can do much better,” he said.

“We put our hand up to try and change the way these things are looked at.”

105 total views, 1 views today