Man charged for allegedly planning a terrorist attack in AUS

arrest 24india news

A SYDNEY man was charged today for allegedly planning a terrorist attack in Australia. Farhad Said, 24, was arrested outside his Bankstown home on Thursday and charged over his alleged involvement in plots to attack the Garden Island Naval Base and Australian Federal Police headquarters.
His lawyer, Muhammad Tehseldar, requested that Said not face Central Local Court either in person or by video link on Thursday afternoon, and made no application for bail on his behalf.
Said is alleged to have been one of a number of people involved in the preparation of handwritten documents, which were seized by police during Operation Appleby raids across Sydney in December 2014.
The AFP say the arrest is based on that information and the public were at no immediate risk before Said’s arrest.
Said will return to Central Local Court on June 8 when his co-accused are also expected to appear.
In a joint statement with NSW Police, the Australian Federal Police confirmed the arrest of a 24-year-old Bankstown man and said he was expected to be charged with one count of conspiracy to conduct an act in preparation for a terrorist act.
Police arrested the man outside his home in south-western Sydney this morning.
The arrest is related to material seized during searches conducted by Operation Appleby investigators in December 2014.

“There is no new threat to the community as part of today’s activity,” the statement said.
According to The Daily Telegraph, his arrest is believed to relate to a planned attack on Garden Island in 2014, allegedly by Sulayman Khalid.

Mr Khalid has been detained since December 2014 after he was also charged with intentionally possessing documents knowingly connected with the preparation for a terrorist act. He was due to go on trial on November last year but this was postponed.

Prosecutors allege that Mr Khalid was found with notes referring to a planned terrorist attack on government targets including the Australian Federal Police. They also mentioned carrying out guerilla warfare in the Blue Mountains.

Another Sydney teenager Tamim Khaja, 18, was arrested this month after allegedly trying to buy a semi-automatic gun in order to carry out a terrorist attack in Sydney. He had allegedly looked at sites including the Parramatta court complex, Garden Island Navy Base and the Victoria Barracks.

Police will allege that Bankstown man was one of a number of people (who have already been charged) who helped create documents connected with preparations to facilitate, assist or engage a person to undertake a terrorist act.

A total of 15 people have now been charged by the Joint Counter Terrorism Taskforce Sydney in relation to Operation Appleby since September 2014.

Police continue to encourage the public to report any suspicious activity they see or hear to the National Security Hotline on 1800 123 400 or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

157 total views, 1 views today