– The problem area is the rooftop. It radiates heat and makes the entire house hot. Create a terrace garden to keep the rooftop cool. The soil will absorb the heat. If the rooftop is cool, the rooms will also be cool. If you plan to paint your house, paint the rooftop white, so that it reflects the heat.
– Always ensure that you close your blinds during the daytime. Heat waves tend to enter your rooms through open windows. So, it is best to close them. If you really want to leave the windows open, then do so after the sunset. As for blinds, bamboo blinds are a good option to cool things down.
– Flannel sheets and upholstery should be changed regularly during summer. Opt for soft cottons in pleasant colours so that the room remains cool during the day.
– Switch off the home appliances after using them. The radiations that come out from these electronics can add to the heat in the room. Avoid using incandescent bulbs.
– It is not just about keeping your house cool but you need to keep your body cool, too. Drink more liquids when you are at home. This is the time to indulge in those yummy milkshakes and smoothies.
– Try to cross-ventilate the house as much as possible. Also, remember to leave the exhaust fans switched on during the day.
– Do your kids stand near the refrigerator for cool air? Prevent them from doing so, as the effect is counterproductive. The motor in the fridge starts working harder when left open for a long time, thus making your room hotter.
– This is the perfect time for grills. Chuck the stove and make ample use of the outdoors in the evenings. Call your friends over for a grill party.
– Place a lot of flowers inside the house. This gives a pleasant atmosphere and is soothing. Also use this time to create a mini garden in the balcony, which not only looks pretty, but can cool down your room, too.