Indonesia’s National Disaster Mitigation Agency said most of those killed or missing are from the Puworejo district, on Java’s south coast.The death toll from floods and landslides that devastated Indonesia’s Central Java province over the weekend has risen to at least 43 with 19 more still missing, according to Indonesia’s National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB).
At a press conference on Monday (Jun 20), BNPB spokesperson Sutopo Nugroho said most of those killed or missing are from the Puworejo district, on Java’s south coast.
Heavy rain on Saturday which lasted for about 10 hours poured across many parts of Central Java.
Search and rescue teams on the ground are focused on looking for those missing. BNPB said there are more than 200 personnel from the national search and rescue agency, the army, police and volunteers from the community.
An additional 250 personnel are expected to join the search operations which will continue until Friday.
Dr Sutopo said the disaster is being managed at a provincial level with support from the central government in terms of logistics, and funding.
He added that search and rescue teams are facing difficulty as they have to be careful because the risk for subsequent landslides is high. He said the damage to properties could well be in the hundreds of thousand dollars.
Local authorities have extended help to those whose homes are damaged by temporarily relocating them to another place.
Floods and landslides are the most common natural disasters in Indonesia. There were more than 1,000 occurrences of floods and landslides killing more than 200 people so far this year.
It’s estimated that nearly 41 million people live in landslide prone areas in Indonesia.