The German authorities probing the terror bombing of a gurdwara in Essen have admitted that they failed to respond ‘resolutely’ to a warning in January from the school of one of the two main suspects, prompting an internal investigation.
Over a month after the attack on Nanaksar Satsang Sabha Gurdwara, the police in the town of Gelsenkirchen said it was a failure not to alert the judicial authorities after the head of a secondary school informed them that its 16-year-old pupil, Yussuf T, had in January shown fellow students on his mobile phone a video of the detonation of a self-made explosive device.
“Our reaction was not resolute enough,” a police official said. — PTI
The police have ordered an internal investigation to establish why the warning was not taken seriously enough, the report said.
A report on regional TV channel WDR said the investigators had searched Yussuf’s room at his house in Gelsenkirchen shortly before Christmas last year and confiscated his computer and mobile phone.
The teenager had spoken about a police raid on his house when he returned to the school after the Christmas holidays and he was in possession of a mobile phone which was not confiscated during the raid, Yussuf’s class teacher told the channel.
The teacher said she heard from Yussuf’s classmates that he had shown them a video of an explosion on his mobile phone.
This information was conveyed to the local police authorities by the school leadership, but they made no effort to confiscate the second mobile phone, the report said.
Investigators found the video of a “trial explosion” of a self-made bomb on a USB drive confiscated from the house of Yussuf’s accomplice Mohammed B in Essen, several days after the bomb explosion at the gurdwara on April 16 that injured three persons, including a Sikh priest seriously.
The video showed the two men detonating in an open area a bomb similar to the fire extinguisher filled with explosives which they detonated at the entrance of the gurdwara.
The two men were arrested four days after the attack, while a third suspect, 17-year-old Tolga I from Wesel, in the state of North Rhine Westphalia, was taken into custody early this month. All of them are currently in preventive custody. PTI