Army chief General Raheel Sharif signed on Thursday death warrants of 12 militants convicted of various terror-related offences, including attacking and killing civilians, soldiers and policemen and destroying schools and other infrastructure.
The convicts, including members of different banned outfits, were tried by military courts set up after the December 2014 massacre at the Army Public School in Peshawar.
Six suspected terrorists killed in Okara police encounter
“Today Chief of Army Staff [Gen Raheel] confirmed death sentences awarded to another 12 hardcore terrorists, who were involved in committing heinous offences related to terrorism, including killing of civilians, attacking Armed Forces of Pakistan and law enforcement agencies, destruction of schools and communication infrastructure,” the military’s media wing, the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR), said in a statement on Thursday.
The decision comes a day before the constitutional limit for military courts is set to expire.
Nine convicts were said to be the members of banned Tehreek-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) while the rest were active members of the banned Lashkar-e-Jhangvi (LeJ).
Those who were sentenced to death include Muhammad Qayyum, Muhammad Asif, Shahadat Hussain, Yasir, Muhammad Tayab, Said Akbar, Muhammad Ayaz, Barkat Ali, Azizur Rehman, Hussain Dar, Ishaq and Behram Sher.
Muhammad Qayyum Bacha, who was an active member of the TTP, was convicted for being involved in attacking a girls’ primary school and a basic health unit using explosives. He had also attacked and killed four soldiers including officers Captain Junaid and Captain Najam in Swat in 2009. He admitted his offences before the magistrate and the trial court.
Muhammad Asif, Shahadat Hussain and Yasin Hussain, who were associated with the banned LeJ, were sentenced to death for killing civilians and attacking law enforcement agencies. They were also in possession of weapons and explosives, said ISPR. While Asif and Shahadat were tried on five charges, Yasin was only tried on two charges.
Similarly, TTP member Muhammad Ayaz was handed a death sentence for his involvement in attacking the military which resulted in death of a soldier.
Barkat Ali, an active TTP member, was involved in killing of civilian and was also in possession of weapons and explosives while Azizur Rehman was charged with attacking Law Enforcement Agencies which resulted in death of Police Constable.
US ducks question on Raheel’s extension
He was also involved in blowing up shops by planting improvised explosive devices. Explosives were also recovered from his possession.
Hussan Dar was tried by the military court and given capital punishment for his involvement in killing civilian and attacking law enforcement agencies which resulted in the death of policemen.
Ishaq, an active member of the TTP, was convicted for attacking the Armed Forces and law enforcement agencies which resulted in the death of a junior commissioned officer while injuring a police constable.
Behram Sher, a TTP militant, was involved in attacking and destroying a Girls’ Primary School which injured and killed soldiers.
Thursday’s decision follows a similar decision in May when 11 terrorists had their death warrants signed by the army chief. Death sentences of another 13 were confirmed earlier in March including those who had attacked and killed 10 foreigners at the Nanga Parbat base camp in 2013