Terrorists in another vehicle blocked the road and opened fire on the taxi of off-duty policemen, the security sources said.
The sources said that the militants belonged to the ISIS-Affiliated group “Ansar Beit el-Maqdes”, which is based in North Sinai.
Security forces cordoned the area of the attack and are currently searching for the attackers.
The attack came two days after the car bomb exploded near General Prosecuters assistant Zakaria Abdel Aziz house in New Cairo.
Zakaria, a senior judge, survived the attack on Thursday, but three people, including two policemen, were injured.
Egypt has witnessed a series of terrorist attacks that targeted policemen, judges and military personnel in different parts of the country.
Since the 2011 revolution that topped ex-president Hosni Mubarak, North Sinai, which is the base of a number of extremist outlaw groups, became the main stage of many violent attacks by Takfiri gunmen.
The attacks even increased after the ouster of Islamist ex-president Mohamed Morsi in 2013 following massive protests against his rule.
Over 700 security personnel have been reported killed since then. The military has launched security campaigns in the area, arrested suspects and demolished houses that belong to terrorists, including those facilitating tunnels leading to the Gaza Strip.