Father: passengers at railway station remained mute witnesses


The victim’s family expressed confidence that the culprit will be brought to justice soon as the probe was transferred to Chennai Police.Days after the brutal murder of Infosys employee Swathi at the Nungambakkam railway station in Chennai, the victim’s father Tuesday rued that “passengers remained mute witnesses” as his daughter’s body lay at the station for over two hours.
However, her family expressed confidence that the culprit will be brought to justice soon as the probe was transferred to Chennai Police.
“We have much confidence in Chennai Police. I think they will find the culprit and produce him before a court of law,” father of the victim Swathi, Santhanagopalakrishnan, said.
Meanwhile, the BJP’s state unit staged a protest here demanding justice in the case.Party’s state unit President Tamilisai Sounderrajan and other senior leaders participated in the protest held at Valluvar Kottam here.
Congress National Spokesperson Khushbu Sundar called on the family of the victim and consoled them.
The actor-politician visited Swathi’s residence at Choolaimedu here.
She later told reporters that the issue should not be politicised “although there are some lapses on part of the government” like absence of CCTV camera in the station, and regretted that no passengers had come forward to help the victim. They could have even called an ambulance, she said.
Even if one of them had taken a picture or video of the alleged attacker on mobile phone, it would have helped in identifying him, she said, adding, people should come forward in such incidents to help the victim or overpower the attacker.
She also expressed concern over what she termed as “speculation” on social media and platforms over the motive behind the killing.
Swathi (24) was found murdered at Nungambakkam railway station here, triggering an outrage in civil society and among political parties.
The police had come under criticism as no headway has been made in the case so far although cops had released CCTV images of a suspect.
The Madras High Court had also come down on the state government, warning it of suo motu intervention if there was any slackness in the probe.
The state government had subsequently transferred the investigation of the case from the Government Railway Police to the City Police yesterday.

107 total views, 1 views today