The I&B ministry’s inter-ministerial committee on Friday had recommended that news channel NDTV India be taken off air for 24 hours for allegedly revealing “strategically-sensitive information” during its coverage of the anti-terror operations at Pathankot airbase.Supporting the action taken against news channel NDTV India, chairman of Zee Media and Rajya Sabha member Subhash Chandra tweeted saying the one-day ban is in fact unjust and very less and that the channel should be banned for life for playing with the security of the country. He further said that if NDTV were to go to court, they’d be reprimanded there as well.
Citing an incident during the UPA rule, Chandra said that during the time, there was a conversation on banning Zee News channel. However, the intellectuals, the Editors’ Guild and NDTV had been silent then.“Today, calling out wrong as wrong is making people say this is an emergency. Is the country’s security not important?” he said.
He finally said that there can be no two ideas on the security of the country and that he completely supported the one-day ban on NDTV India.The Information and Broadcasting ministry’s inter-ministerial committee on Friday had recommended that news channel NDTV India be taken off air for 24 hours for allegedly revealing “strategically-sensitive information” during the course of its coverage of the anti-terror operations at the Pathankot airbase earlier this year.
The Editors’ Guild of India had “strongly condemned” the ban, saying that it is “reminiscent of the Emergency”. The News Broadcasters Association (NBA) said that it was “deeply concerned” by the ministry’s order.
Major political parties have also decried the ban. However, the BJP has defended the ban, saying the channel had jeopardised the security of the county.
112 total views, 2 views today