“The new schools will provide 6,600 new student spaces in new and developing communities,” said the CBE in a release.
These six schools will be ready in the fall.
- Auburn Bay School, K-4
- Copperfield School, K-4
- Kenneth D. Taylor School, K-4 (Evanston)
- New Brighton School, K-4
- Nelson Mandela High School, Gr. 10-12 (northeast)
- William D. Pratt School, Gr. 4-9 (Rocky Ridge/Royal Oak)
It says weather and construction-related problems are behind the delays at the Buffalo Rubbing Stone elementary school in Panorama Hills. It won’t open until Sept. 26, so parents are being advised of contingency plans.
Contingency plan in place
“As part of the contingency plan, we’re doing something called a school within a school,” said Dany Breton, the superintendent of facilities and environmental services.
“And this will help minimize the impact upon students because they will be with their fellow classmates with their teacher simply in a different facility, in a different school, and then ultimately the lift and shift will occur once the school is ready to open.”
He says students will be placed in either Alex Munro or Panorama Hills depending on their grade.
Meanwhile, Peter Lougheed middle school in Saddle Ridge is only a few days behind schedule so the board is delaying the start date for students until Sept. 9.
As well as new schools, the board announced the completion of the modernization of Bowness and Jack James high schools.
- Modernization of Jack James High School includes additions and upgrades to auto body, building trades, horticulture and child-care spaces.
- Modernization of Bowness High School includes a new wing of classrooms, a culinary arts classroom and a robotics lab, as well as automotive and wood shop upgrades.
New schools to open in January
Several schools are also expected to open in the new year, and provide 6,000 more spaces for students.
- Aboriginal Learning Centre, Pre-K-3 (modernization)
- Christine Meikle School, Gr. 7-12 (replacement)
- Dr. George Stanley School, Gr. 4-9 (Cranston)
- Dr. Martha Cohen School, Gr. 5-9 (Copperfield/New Brighton)
- Dr. Roberta Bondar School, K-6 (Aspen Woods)
- Elbow Park, K-6 (replacement)
- Eric Harvie School, K-4 (Tuscany)
- Hugh A. Bennett School, K-4 (Saddle Ridge)
- McKenzie Highlands School, Gr. 4-9 (McKenzie Towne)
- West Ridge School, Gr. 5-9 (West Springs/Cougar Ridge)
The CBE says modernization work will also begin this fall at James Fowler and Lord Beaverbrook high schools to “enhance career and technology spaces in these schools.”