Six men have been charged with illegal hunting and outfitting after a year-long investigation near North Battleford, Sask.
Officials with the province’s environment ministry say undercover officers from the United States booked hunts with an outfitting business called Rezz Raxx — based on the Red Pheasant First Nation. The investigation was started in response to concerns about increased illegal hunting practices in the area
The undercover operation resulted in a slew of charges against the six men, from illegal outfitting to use of a search light.
Together, they face more than $55,000 in fines.
The men are also prohibited from hunting anywhere but on their own First Nation — and only for their own food.
Six men facing a total of more than $55K in fines
- Lawrence Lee Meechance, 39, was fined $17,900 for outfitting without a licence, aiding and abetting unlawful hunting near North Battleford, falsifying an export permit application and driving without a driver’s licence.
- Robin D. Wuttunee, 38, was fined $12,510 for unlawful hunting near Landis, use of a search light for hunting, unlawful hunting and hunting on posted land near Kindersley, guiding without a licence and driving without a driver’s licence.
- Tyrone Adam Cuthand, 32, was fined $10,470 for guiding without a licence near Battleford, unlawful hunting near Sonningdale, using a search light for hunting near Maymont, driving without a driver’s licence and falsifying an export permit application.
- Dennis Kennedy, 27, was fined $3,150 for aiding and abetting, carrying a loaded firearm in a vehicle, guiding without a licence near Battleford, hunting on posted land near Landis, unlawful hunting near Ruthilda and driving without a driver’s licence.
- Stephen A.D. Armstrong, 28, was fined $10,000 for unlawfully hunting and hunting on posted land near Kindersley, unlawful hunting near Golden Prairie, using a search light for hunting near Gull Lake and guiding without a licence near Battleford.
- Gregg John Shawn Meechance, 28, was fined $1,120 for falsifying an export permit application.
94 total views, 1 views today