After spending 25 years and six months in various jails, the Terrorist and Disruptive Activities Prevention Act (TADA) convict Gurdeep Singh Khera got interim relief to reunite with his family. For the first time, his parole application was accepted and he was released for 28 days from Amritsar Central jail today.Earlier, his parole application which he had submitted in September last year, was rejected on the grounds that it would cause a law and order problem and the police investigation report cited that he may flee the country.Khera has never been released from jail, except for a day to attend a family wedding around eight years ago, but he was not allowed to go home.Today, after furnishing the requisite documentation, Khera was received by his father Bant Singh to take him home. They straightaway went to pay obeisance at the Golden Temple, before proceeding for his hometown Jallupur Khera village in Amritsar.A visibly relieved Khera said that it was for the first time that he would be visiting his house after 25 years.He alleged that dual parameters are adopted for TADA detainees. While Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt was allowed parole umpteen times, non-influential persons like him in identical cases were denied this right.“But I have no regrets and it is a big relief for me to be with my family. I am the only son left to look after my aged parents. We have a small landholding which is our only livelihood.

I am here at the Golden Temple to thank ‘Waheguru’ for letting me live with my family even if for a short while”, he said.Dal Khalsa leader Kanwar Pal Singh said that parole was Khera’s right which was long overdue.Amritsar jail DSP Kulwant Singh said that it was his good conduct that could earn him an opportunity to go out of the jail. “Earlier, it was the negative report of police, which had hampered his parole. He had applied again after four and a half months and this time he was fortunate to procure it”, he said.Khera (55), was arrested on October 19, 1990. He was charged under the Terrorist and Disruptive Activities Prevention Act (TADA) and later sentenced to life imprisonment in two cases registered in New Delhi and Karnataka in 1996.After 20 years, in March 2010, the courts cleared him of any involvement in the Delhi bomb case. However, the Karnataka case is still pending.He was the second former TADA convict to be brought to Amritsar Central Jail on June 25, 2015 after 1993 Delhi blasts convict Devinderpal Singh Bhullar.