There is curfew in all 10 districts in the Kashmir Valley, including Srinagar. 20 protesters have been killed in clashes with the police and one policeman was killed after a mob pushed his vehicle into the Jhelum river at Sangam in Anantnag district.
Over 300 people are injured, more than 90 of them security personnel. Over the weekend, four police stations were set on fire across Kashmir and 40 government offices were attacked by people protesting against terrorist Wani’s death.
About 15,000 pilgrims are stranded at base camps in Jammu, with the Amarnath Yatra suspended for the third day. More and more people are arriving at the Jammu camp, but the police said no one would be allowed to move today towards the Kashmir Valley, where the Amarnath shrine is.
Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti held a cabinet meeting on Sunday and appealed to opposition parties and separatists to help restore calm in the Valley. “We appeal to the separatists, parents of children pelting stones to help bring peace….we condemn civilian deaths,” said government spokesperson Nayeem Akhtar.
The Mehbooba government has also promised to investigate any instance of disproportionate use of force by securitymen, even as it appealed to people not to “become tools in the machinations of instigators of violence”.
Separatist leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani asked people to not to attack police stations and to maintain communal harmony.
Internet services are still down in Jammu and Kashmir. The Srinagar-Jammu national highway continues to be closed and train services remain suspended. School board exams have been postponed.
In Delhi, Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh reviewed the situation in the state and also spoke to Muhbooba Mufti assuring her of the Centre’s help. The ruling BJP is a partner of Ms Mufti’s People’s Democratic Party or PDP in the Jammu and Kashmir government.
Despite restrictions, a large number of people had gathered in Tral, south Kashmir, for Burhan Wani’s funeral on Saturday. Wani was killed in an intelligence-led police operation along with two other terrorists on Friday afternoon. The police said he was planning a terror strike.
The 22-year-old was seen as the face of new militancy in Kashmir, representing the disturbing profile of young, educated local boys taking up arms. He featured in videos circulated on Facebook and WhatsApp aimed at recruiting young Kashmiri men for terror.