In the space of just four hours, the infamous Montague Street bridge has claimed another two victims. A truck hit the bridge in South Melbourne about 11am on Wednesday , and another had also reportedly collided with the notorious structure by 3pm.
The first truck was carrying a large skip, which was left in the middle of the road. The road was cleared, but it was only a matter of hours before the bridge struck again, according to Melbourne radio station Triple M.
It had been three weeks since the last time a vehicle collided with the accident-prone bridge, which has a clearance height of three metres.
It’s believed the bridge has now been struck more than 100 times in the last six years.
However, the authority that collects data on bridge collisions, VicRoads, said they had not received any reports of the latest two incidents.
A spokeswoman for VicRoads said there had been 94 incidents between 2009 and 2015. Fairfax Media has reported on five previous collisions this year.
Yarra Trams confirmed they were contacted by police about 11am on Wednesday morning to inform them the bridge had been hit.
A spokesman for Yarra Trams said it appeared the truck had made “relatively gentle contact” and trams had not been affected.
Melbourne radio station Triple M published photographs of both accidents. Yarra Trams and police have not confirmed the second mishap. It possible police were not called to the scene.