Child Abuse Squad detectives have said the allegations against the pair, both aged 50, were “abhorrent” and beyond belief.
The two men were yesterday arrested in Ivanhoe, Victoria, where they live together, and flown to Sydney to face a string of child sexual assault and pornography charges.
Their crimes are said to have been committed over a three-hour period during visit by the girl’s father in Bathurst in April last year.
Detective Chief Inspector Peter Yeomans said the pair came to police attention after Victorian officers searched a third man’s address in March and recovered disturbing material.
“The allegations that are made against these two men are abhorrent. The sexual assault, or alleged sexual assault, of a 10-month-old child is beyond belief,” DCI Yeomans said.
But he said the girl, who would now be just over two years old, was out of harm’s way.
“The little girl is fine. She is in care at the moment,” DCI Yeomans said.
Court documents indicate one of the men is accused of taking intimate photographs of the baby, having sexual intercourse with her, and using his mobile phone both to share and solicit child pornography, among other offences.
The second man arrested is accused of having sexual intercourse with the baby and producing child pornography. It is further alleged that he “did incite the commission” of a sexual assault on the 10-month-old.
The pair did not come up from the cells when their case was briefly brought before Waverley Local Court today.
They did not apply for bail and it was formally refused by Magistrate Michael Barko, meaning the two men will remain behind bars until the case returns to Central Local Court on Tuesday.
The court heard one or both men may make a bail application at that time.