A SHOOTING in suburban Melbourne has been linked to outlaw bikies who travelled from interstate before being ambushed at a secret after-dark meeting.

Anti-bikie detectives are probing whether the group of men with gang links were lured to Attwood, in the city’s west, before a number of gunmen fired at least 12 shots towards them.

The four men who came under fire — including two who were hurt — are known to police and were identified as associates of the Comancheros bikies’ Western Australia chapter.

The men, aged 28 and 30, were shot in the upper body, one of them was left in a serious condition.

The gunmen tonight remained on the loose and the injured pair were refusing to co-operate with police.

Echo Taskforce Detective Acting Senior Sergeant Daniel Ryan said it was unclear why the men had arranged to meet in Lavery Place or who they were meeting.

“I can assure the public this is a targeted shooting, it’s not a random shooting,” Sen-Sgt Ryan said.

“We believe that the meeting was arranged in the paddock (in Lavery Place).

“We’re not aware of the reasons as to why they met … the victims are not co-operating.”

Police believe at least two offenders were responsible for the ambush and it’s possible they made their escape in a stolen Volkswagon Golf found dumped in Westmeadows.

Dramatic CCTV shows a man running from the bushes and firing a handgun at the men who had pulled up in a white Mercedes in Lavery Place just before 8pm Tuesday.

The group flee as they are peppered with bullets.

Sen-Sgt Ryan said police did not believe the victims had been armed.

All parties fled the scene following the shooting and it is believed two male offenders were last seen running towards Kenny St.

One shooting victim ran to the house of resident Dean Clarke for help.

Mr Clarke feared he was about to be the victim of a home invasion and armed himself with a hockey stick, before helping the man.

“I thought it was a setup. Then (the man) opened his shirt and his whole front was covered in blood,” Mr Clarke said.

The 28-year-old man, from Western Australia, was treated at the scene by paramedics and taken to the Royal Melbourne Hospital.

About 45 minutes later paramedics were called to the nearby Westmeadows Tavern bottle shop to treat the second man, a 30-year-old also from Western Australia.

Police yesterday found two bullet cases but had not found a weapon.

Anyone with information should call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000