The family of a 13-year-old girl has filed a police complaint on Sunday against the doctors of the Government Vellore Medical College Hospital (GVMCH) alleging medical negligence. The child, Monisa, died shortly after undergoing tonsil surgery on Friday afternoon.

The girl’s parents demanded an autopsy to find the cause of death of the girl. The Vellore Taluk Police registered a case under section 174 of CrPC and launched an investigation.

Monisa’s parents Velu and Amsa of Tiruvalam admitted her on June 13 after she complained of difficulty in swallowing food and pain. The doctors attached to the Department of Ear, Nose and Threat (ENT) of GVMCH examined the child and decided to operate on the child to remove the tonsil.

The girl was taken to the operation theatre at about 9 am on Saturday. By 12.45 pm, Amsa was informed that her daughter died. “My daughter was taken for the surgery at on Saturday morning. Before leaving, she told me not to worry about her. She also asked me to get her ice cream after she return from the surgery.

“At about 11 am, a person came out of the operation theatre and showed me two pieces of skin (tonsil) and said that they were removed from my daughter’s throat. At 12.30 pm, I was told that my daughter was in a critical condition. She was shifted to ICU after the surgery. Within 10 minutes, they told me that my daughter died,” said the inconsolable mother of the child.

The parents decided against post-mortem and received their daughter’s body. However, the girl’s relative grew suspicious over the death’s death after going through the document issued in the hospital. It was signed by Dr Elango stated that the girl died at 2.15 pm on Friday, a day before the surgery, said the girl’s uncle Deepak.

Following a complaint, the police shifted the child’s body to the hospital for autopsy. “The police told us that the post-mortem was done today (Sunday) and it was video graphed to avoid unnecessary problems. It will be sent into forensic analysis to ascertain the cause of the death,” said Deepak.

Dean of the institute Usha Sadasivam said that cause of the death of the child was cardiopulmonary arrest due to bronchospasm (trouble in breathing)