1 dies after drink spiked in Laos

man 24india news

A MELBOURNE man has died while travelling in Laos after a suspected drink spiking. His friend has been treated in hospital. The Herald Sun understands the dead man was a 24-year-old tourist, and he died over the weekend.

His travelling companion also fell ill after the suspected poisoning.

“The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade is providing consular assistance to the family of an Australian man who died in Laos,” DFAT said in a statement to theHerald Sun.

Laos is popular with young Aussie backpackers but has a dark history with a number of fatalities.

In 2012 alone three young Australians died. That year Alexander Lee, 22, of Yarraville, was found dead in a hotel room in Luang Prabang with drugs reportedly a factor.

Lee Hudswell, 26, from Sydney, died of injuries suffered jumping onto a tube from a riverbank in Vang Vieng.

And Daniel Eimutis, a 19-year-old Melbourne University student died tubing in Vang Vieng.

DFAT said it could not release any more details on the latest fatality for “privacy reasons”.

136 total views, 1 views today