1 catches fire, dies on driveway

way 24india news

Neighbours have told of a woman’s horrifying dying screams, as they tried to help her after she caught alight during a house fire in Byford. The neighbours and nearby workmen were alerted by the screams as the woman, who is thought to have been in her 30s, ran onto the driveway of her Lovegrove Court home with clothes on fire.

George Mostert, 78, was the first on the scene closely followed by two removalists working nearby.

“When I got there, the flames on her clothing were about a metre high,” he said.

“I grabbed a furniture cover and threw it over her to snuff out the flames.”

Mr Mostert said they were unable to save the woman.

“That’s the worst thing I’ve seen in nearly 80 years,” he said.

“I’m still shaken.”

Six fire trucks from Armadale, Hope Valley and Byford responded to the 10.20am emergency call and a small fire in the home was put out within 20 minutes.

Police confirmed that one person was deceased but were not yet able to release further details. Arson squad detectives visited the premises and investigations are continuing.

80 total views, 1 views today